Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Broccoli Cheese Soup

I never tried making my own but it was so much more yummy than anything canned. I think the sharp cheddar gave it a great tanginess that was so yummy. This would easily feed 2 for dinner with some leftovers for lunch. Next time I would double it though so we had more leftover for lunch and we need to feed 3 adults. Next time I also want to try fat free half and half since the original recipe called for heavy cream and I used light and it was still a very thick soup.

3 tbls of unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup of onions - I threw in a shallot as well since I had it leftover
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of ground pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
1 tbsp of chopped garlic
1/2 tsp of chopped fresh thyme

3 tbls of flour
3 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
1 (16-ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed
1/2 cup of light cream
2 cups of shredded sharp Cheddar

In a medium pot, melt 1.5 tbls of butter over medium-high heat.

Add the onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook until soft about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme. Stir frequently for 20 seconds while it cooks. Add the other 1.5tbl of butter to melt.

Add the flour by sprinkling and stir until thoroughly mixed for about 3 minutes. Slowly add chicken broth while whisking constantly. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat (but not too much since it is thick and it needs a little more than the average simmer on my stove) and simmer until thickened for about 5 minutes.

Add the broccoli and cook for 10 minutes until tender.

Add the cream and barely bring to a simmer. Then add the cheese and lower heat till the cheese is melted which happened almost instantly for me. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons cold butter. Stir until it is mixed thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment